Rory Gallagher, An Appreciation




Around 1979 a friend loaned me a cassette tape of Rory Gallagher Irish Tour '74.  I nearly wore it out, he had to come looking for it back.  I was blown away by the sounds I heard.  It was my first taste of electric rock blues.  From Cradle Rock to Who's That Comin to Walk on Hot Coals to Too Much Alcohol I was hooked.  The music was fresh and grown up and the total opposite to the Punk era that was prevalent at the time.  Robert Johnson may have sold his sole to the devil but Rory Gallagher did his own deal in Ballyshannon.
In 1980 Rory Gallagher played what was then the Parkway Motel in Limerick.  Rory Gallagher. Live. In Limerick. And I was there.  I remember seeing him in the bar before the gig, just an ordinary guy mingling with the crowd. I have vague memories of the hall but no recollection of the gig other than I was in awe. I had to walk the 3 miles home but I hardly noticed.
Saving whatever meagre pocket money I could scrounge I bought his Live in Europe album and the high continued.  A live album and probably his best in my opinion it introduced me to the acoustic guitar and mandolin playing of Gallagher, was there a stringed instrument he couldn't play? Controversial maybe, but he was better than Jimi Hendrix.
I bought the album in Savins in Limerick. They agreed to play a track on the shops sound system for me.  I chose Pistol Slapper Blues by Blind Boy Fuller. My joy was short lived when the owner demanded it be turned off, he obviously wasn't a fan.  Tracks like Bullfrog Blues, Messin with the Kid and I Could Have Had Religion have stood the test of time and are as good today as they were back then.
A number of years later I'm living in London when the future Mrs.L rings me at work to sat that Rory Gallagher was playing in the Dominion Theatre, would I like a ticket?  Would I what!  Mrs.L hadn't been as impressed with Rory as me and only went to keep me company.  She was a Sprinsgteen fan and was used to concerts in Wembley Stadium with all the trappings of grandeur.  Not impressed with his acoustic support act and scant number of on stage speakers she was not going to enjoy the concert. On the way out a few hours later she asked where we could buy his albums.  Hooked.

Next up was the Town & Country Club in Kentish Town, North London and Mrs.Ls stomping ground.  Previously know as The Forum it changed names when the late Vince Power took control.  Another great gig.

Rory Gallagher died on June 14 1995.  I was driving home from work on the A1 (M) north of London when I heard the news.  I was lucky to see him live three times.

If you haven't heard his music buy his albums or get him on the web.  I chose his '74 album for the @bmwa17 music choice recenly, everyone loved it, you will too.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

From The Holy Mountain

Moulin Du Chateau Lagrezette, Cahors

Rum: The Kraken