Apple & Ginger Chutney


Apple & Ginger Chutney with Tomme d'Ardeche


Sunday, September 17th.  My phone buzzes.  A message.  It was my buddy, Travis Bickle.  "You're invited over to watch the All Ireland Football Final and have some lunch, see you later"  This was closely worded code for come over and drink some wine, chew the fat and chill out.  I went.  We drank some very nice Malbec from Cahors, ate a very nice pork stew, chewed some fat and chilled out.  We went into his orchard and collected windfall apples.  I never did see the game.

Monday, September 18th.  I look at the bag of apples in my kitchen, there must be 5kgs.  What am I going to do with those?, I asked myself.  Chutney, I replied, chutney.  Apple and Ginger Chutney for Christmas.

I took (all approximate weights, makes about 2.5kg)

2.5 kg of apples 

150gr of fresh ginger

500gr raisins

250gr demerara sugar

300ml apple cider vinegar

2 large onions

I peeled and cored the apples.  Peeled and diced the ginger and the onions.  I put all the ingredients into a large pot. 

I brought the mixture to the boil.  Once boiled I reduced it to a bubbling simmer, stirring often to prevent sticking.  I simmered it for approx 40 minutes until the apples were soft and the mixture was thick and the colour deep and dark.

In the mean time I sterilised some glass jars.  I brought them to the boil in a pot of water for 10-15 minutes.  Ladle the hot mixture into the jars, be very careful, it is very hot.  Place the lids on the jars and tighten.  The chutney will last for years unopened.  Put labels on the jars with the month and year. Once opened it will last 3-4 months.  


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

From The Holy Mountain

Rum: The Kraken

For Whom The Bell Tolls